Friday, April 29, 2011

The marks are in

The good news at this point of semester is that I am on track to pass both units which is pleasing.
Assignment One was 65 % in ETL503. It shows that I am quite capable of resourcing a curriculum area. The topic that I selected was quite a dry topic overall which I overcame quite well. There is scope for improvement - particularly the application of selection procedures. My tools were not professional enough and need to make more effective use of them in Assignment Two along with the general principles.
Fortuantely I was able to justify how I approached the selection and acqusition of the resources which I think was a saving grace for me. I was also able to demonstrate how the resources satisfy resourcing needs.
ETL504 - The mark was only 52 %, and for the effort put in, that was a very generous mark. Given I was in a group that was not organised effectively that is actually a good mark. The markers comments were generally negative particularly that the assignment had "no single clear direction" that addressed no theory. A comment of that nature is normally rewarded with a mark of no more than 40 %, in fact it would be lower.
I personally have developed good group work skills particularly during my university studies and I did not demonstrate that to a large extent. My self reflection identified weaknesses such as the need to express firmer leadership and effective goal setting. Collaboraition was generally poot and I ended up not working that group culture effectively.
The assignment was generally rushed. I perform poorly in such circumstances and I find it increases my anxiety to a point where I cannot perform. I wanted to start straight away but it was a week before group members were able to locate me and another week to organise a suitable time.
I wanted to communicate with skype, but the group members were reluctant to use that tool. To me Skype is better than a telephone because it's clear and there was also the prospect of using a face cam to provide an emotive element. Online assignments miss that component because you can understand how one feels as well. You cannot see that when in a chat room typing your thoughts.