Thursday, April 21, 2011

ETL503.

Resourcing the Curriculum? Collection Management? What did i know before starting this unit?

I definately have forgotten what my initial impressions were. In a year from now, I will be completing a portfolio so it's important that I do this now so I don't forget.

Simply I had no idea about the unit was going to be about.

Resourcing the curriclum to me just a matter of weeks ago was merely about the process of obtaining resources for the curriclum. This would comprise of:



  1. What the syllabus requires teachers to teach

  2. What the school programmes require teachers to teach to satisfy currilclum requirements

  3. What resources are needed to satisfy learning outcomes? Do they contribute towards student learning? Are they relevant?

That is narrow and comes from my teaching background. I have had limited teaching opportunities since I graduated at the end of 2009. I am 100 % certain that there were elements missing.


We are now at mid semester and I have learn't in simple terms:



  • How to select resources - What elements do I need to consider - such as information from publishers, web reviews and requests by teachers and students

  • The types of resources available.

  • The tools available for Teacher Librarians and teachers to select useful teaching resources.

  • Creating a system for effective selection of resources.

  • How to acquire resources - Budgeting, how to undertake an effective purchase of an item, and how they will be made available to library users.

Now I will have the chance to learn how to manage an entire collection. This is important if we want to resource items effectively. There needs to be a system for me to evalaute existing resources and how andwhy I would approach management of the collection.


While it has helped me grasp a greater understanding of the role of teacher librarian through examining a key element of their role, it helps me alot as a teacher in general. I have been exposed to selection tools that were previously unknown to me particularly online tools such as the Teaching and Learning Federation.


I now have the chance to create a collection management policy, and this is where many of the key concepts will be applied. It will be through this assignment, that I can get a key grasp of the ideas and concepts in ETL503.