Thursday, April 14, 2011

ETL503 - Assignment One

Assignment One was submitted last week and I thought generally it was pretty straightfoward assignment. Initially, I thought it was going to be hard but after doing some reading and visiting a real school library, the ideas flowed in. I have to admit I overlooked one aspect of Acquistion - relating to placing orders for resources such as biblographical details and ordering the item. I only considered the financial aspect and where I would source them from. I will need to examine that in Assignment Two for sure. It will compromise potential for a good mark. I just hope a pass will do. I like to aim for a credit or higher, but given the difficulty of the course and lack of experience as a teacher - librarian, it just will be too hard. I also have to remember that my marks in education subjects were only enough for a pass even if a credit was obtained. I don't really think about that. But then again what did I learn and how will I apply it?

  • I knew nothing about the process of selection and acquistion

  • I learnt that I don't have to rely solely on catalogues, publisher websites and online bookstores. There are a myriad of curriculum resources also that would be beneficial such as the Teaching and Learning Federation that appeals specifically to teaching resources. I also didn't realise professional experience or simple we searches are also part of the process.

  • The process of acquiring resources - In ETL501 I gained insight into the evaluation of web resources. I was able to apply that to this assignment. Even more interesting the evaluation of the resource itself is undertaken as part of the acquistion process - because you have to consider factors such as cost and accessibility along with currency etc. With other resources, I gained a strong insight into the process and what I do need to consider. Assignment Two will help me spell it out clearly given what I have raised.

  • The importance of online resources to learning and how to include them in a library collection. It doesn't feel so distinct.

  • Able to provide reasons as to why resources have been selected and how they satisfy the resourcing needs of the library. That is most important given they will influence learning outcomes.