Friday, August 23, 2019

Book Week & Early Childhood Studies

Some schools offer Early Childhood Studies as part of the HSC Course in NSW and can be studied by those who wish to follow a non-ATAR pathway.

This week, I presented a Book Week workshop with students undertaking the course in Year 11. The lesson involved students reflecting on their book week experiences, either in pre-school or in primary school before providing an overview of book week itself and the importance of picture books.

I then asked the students to select a picture book and work in pairs to create an activity program for an early childhood centre for each day during Book Week.

I will admit I had to do alot of reminiscing as I provided strategies to suggest to the students e.g. art & craft, story telling sessions, visit to the local library and running a book fair and encourage parents to buy books to read to their children. I personally remember doing this in Book Week whether it was in pre-school or primary school.

I suggested for the 2019 theme Reading is my Secret Power to focus on Superheroes given the interest in super heroes that infants and pre-schoolers will have. I actually had to do some research as this years theme can be open to interpretation. I did apply the superheroes theme for our Book Week display for our students

As students will also do placements in early childhood centres as part of their studies, I told them that they can borrow picture books to use in their placement.

Walking around and helping them was fun too as they got into the spirit of reading the book to their partner and then creating their own activities. I even helped them with their storytelling skills so that they can engage the kids effectively when doing it for real.

Today in the staff room for a weekly morning tea and briefing, there was suggestions floating around of getting students to wear a costume or outfit and that the students had talked about it. Might be considered for 2020!!!