Monday, November 11, 2013

Aspergers Syndrome

During the Easter Weekend this year, Good Weekend (The Sydney Morning Herald & The Age) had a feature report on how Aspergers Syndrome is now regarded as "cool" to have and also looked at how this form of Autism impacts on those who suffer the condition and their families.

What has concerned me as of late are plans to classify it as a remove Aspergers Syndrome from the Autism Spectrum and classify it as a "social anxiety disorder". This has implications for sufferers, their families and for us as teachers.

My mother, a teachers assistant has attended inservices on Autism and has amassed a collection of resources relating to Aspergers Syndrome.

I also have done my own research as part of my university studies plus I also have read the book "The Complete Guide to Aspergers Syndrome" by Dr.Tony Attwood. It is a must read.

I do have a huge interest for Special Education hence my interest. If I wasn't going to be a teacher librarian, I'd most likely be a Special Education Teacher.

At least 1 % of children have Asperger Syndrome. Some of the characteristics found in those with the syndrome include:

  • Obsession with routine and order.
  • Special interests which can be obsessive.
  • Difficulty understanding non verbal communication.
  • Poor social skills.
  • Difficulty controlling emotions.
  • Academically they perform at average or above average levels.
  • Difficulty with fine motor skills.
  • Can be clumsy.
  • Hypersensitivity with their senses (taste, sight, smell, touch, hearing)
There is not just a social or mental impact, but there is a physical side too.  If it was to be classed as a "social anxiety disorder", then how is one to account for the broader characteristics of Aspergers Syndrome within the definition?

To move Asperger Syndrome away from the Autism spectrum I feel will impact on students with the condition within the classroom because I feel that they will be denied the support that they might have under the current definition.