Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Web 2.0 Course - My Learning Journey

It has been a very exciting journey for me. I was motivated to do this course for the following reasons:

  • My university studies (particularly undergraduate) placed little emphasis on the use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT's) in the Classroom. I graduated with little knowledge in this area.
  • Eagerness to integrate more Web 2.0 tools into my classroom teaching.
  • Become better informed on latest teaching developments.
  • Highly relevant to my career as a Teacher Librarian and my role as a manager of information. I also would have to lead classroom teachers in incorporating online technologies such as Web 2.0 Tools into teaching and learning programs.
  • Allowed me to build up my knowledge of ICT's in the classroom from my Master of Education (Teacher Librarian) Course.
I come to the end of this course and I have embraced the opportunities that have been provided to immerse myself in Web 2.0 tools and experimented with how I could use them in the classroom as a classroom teacher.

Some highlights from my learning journey include:

  • Creating pages through IGoogle & Google Reader that allow me to centralise the flow of information from sources that I regularly visit, instead of going to each site individually. The internet experience becomes much more simplified and centralised. With so much information around us, we need a location where we can view the information that is important to us.
  • Google Docs - Out of the tools that I have used in this course I have found this to be most useful resource for classroom learning. It allows for groups to collaborate in real time and removes the barriers associated with machines and emailing. It makes learning more productive and even better, students don't have to be in the classroom to learn.
  • How to engage in Digital Storytelling - It encourages creativity and expression. Even though I may question the features of online tools compared to offline tools, I think its a great method for students to learn but also to communicate their information in multiple forms. Students love their technology and digital storytelling responds to their interests. Even I get excited and I have ideas in my head about some stories I want to share. 
  • Prezi - Adds a new dimension to the presentation of information and goes beyond the functions of Powerpoint. It encouraged me to be more creative in presenting factual information and summaries. Anything that is brief does not require Powerpoint slides. I think students will love it especially in subjects like history where creativity might stimulate interest. I'd still use Powerpoint for presenting information that more abstract or detailed. In fact I think both can go hand in hand like embedding Prezi into a Powerpoint slide. 
  • Bubbl.us - An excellent tool for mindmapping which is no longer limited by the size of the paper. 
  • Using Twitter as part of professional networking.
  • Consolidating my knowledge with Web 2.0 tools such as Blogs, Social Network sites and Photohosting websites and reflecting on their potential use in the classroom.


I've started to share with students some of the tools that are available to them and many of them have been amazed at the fact that Web 2.0 tools are easily accessible especially Google Docs. I filled in for a Year 11 Economics Class at one school recently and I explained to the students how they can use Google Docs to share notes with their peers as some of them share their notes via "old" methods online such as Email.

Hopefully as I get full time work as a teacher librarian, I can share my knowledge and experience of using Web 2.0 tools with other teachers, especially those that may be reluctant to use them and suggest strategies in how they can be incorporated into their teaching even if they have to start with something very simple and basic. I found that taking small steps does make a difference. The students I feel will welcome any use of technology even if it starts with something simple. Then I can work on teaching more complex tools and strategies. Rushing does not help.

If I do end up in a classroom role, this course gives me the scope to become more creative in my teaching. I'm lucky that I have a background in expressing myself creatively (photography) and I need to capitalise on it and use it to provide positive and engaging learning experiences.