Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Module 5 (Web 2.0) - Creating and Communicating Online

I was amazed by Prezi in this module. As a history teacher I have found that it can be handy for creating timelines or summarising key historical events. Instead of drawing a simple timeline, I am able to use graphics and use interesting fonts to present the information. Even better the slides make incredible transitions from one frame to another with excitement. If I was a student I would be wondering what the slide or event would be.

Here is the Prezi that I created. It is a timeline of the key events in the life of NSW Premier John Lang (1877-1975). This is part of Stage 5 History studies of The Great Depression.



I've also been trying to use Glogster as well. I am disappointed so far. I've tried to upload some images to create my handout and twenty minutes later, the images are still being processed. I will have to try again at another time.

Just putting some words on this handout wont be enough for me.

Bubbl.us I found was a very exciting tool to use for mindmapping. When I sat my HSC I remember having to cram as much as I could onto single A4 pages. My notes were mindmaps because for me they provided useful summaries. Sometimes the writing required some squinting.

I like to encourage mindmapping and brainstorming in the classroom as much as I can and I think the tool is handy for such a task. It addresses just about all the issues of doing a mindmap by hand.  It allows for better presentation of mindmaps and adds some colour and style to the presentation. Students can tailor the mindmap to their style or their needs. The mindmaps can be as big as they need to, however i wonder how one would be able to print them if they are big. That requires some further exploration.