Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Module 6 (Web 2.0) - Exploring photos and videos on the web

This is an area that I am quite familiar with.

Those who have known me, know that I have fondness for photography and I am always eager to share my latest snaps.

Primarily I have used Imageshack (imageshack.us) to host photos as they can be shared easily with HTML codes, forum codes etc always available at the touch of my hand.


I was happy to give Picasa a go because I wanted to see what another site can offer. As part of the Module, I was required to create an album and share some of the images publicly. Featured below is an album containing some of my photos that I have taken.

I hope you can see this. If not, please let me know.

Looking at their use as a learning tool, I think sites like Picasa they make excellent photo hosting websites where students can keep a record of photographs that they have taken that are relevant to learning tasks. The images can be used again for other learning tasks either within or another subject area. I would emphasise that they post their own images only as a means of encouraging originality.  I think it encourages one to take pride in their work as well because they shot the image/s themselves and gives them the chance to showcase their skills to others.

Plus there are basic editing options available that they can use to improve the images whether it may be cropping, altering colours etc. There is even creative elements available through the Creative Kit. This comes in handy if they want to add some humor.

Picasa I feel also can be used for digital storytelling. Captions can be added to describe the images. Also a movie feature is available. 

Fortunately I am familiar with editing photos and there was nothing new that needed to be learn't about this aspect of sharing photos online. I will continue to do them offline because software like Adobe Photoshop provide the advanced features that online photo editing tools do not.