Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Nearing the end

It's amazing that I have nearly finished my assignments for ETL401 and ETL501, despite the difficulty and complexity of both assignments.

In ETL401, Part A was the easiest component as it merely required me to compare and contrast three different information skills processing models. I decided to compare Kuhlthau's Information Skills Processing Model, The Seven Pillars and James Herring's PLUS Model. Each model was unique in that it can be applied to different aspects of my teaching, whether it is in the role of teacher librarian or just as a subject teacher. I can use Kuhlthau's model to observe the behaviour of students as they undertake a learning task and identify situations that would require intervention, very important as teachers need to be one step ahead of the game, The Seven Pillars in assessment of learning as I can measure the competency of information literacy skills and the PLUS Model can be applied as a learning task with students as part of developing information literacy in the classroom.

Part A has helped me in ETL501, where I have to construct a pathfinder for a unit of work, and I have applied that model in locating resources for my pathfinder but also to develop literacy skills in my students as it is an effective model for evaluation and reflection on research. The critical analysis is apart of it.

Part B hasn't been that difficult after all. After reviewing further sources of literature, I was able to demonstrate that the standards are effective in improving professional practice despite earlier opinions that the standards were 'vague' and didn't relate to student learning. The more I read and reflected on the standards, the more I realised that the standards did relate to student learning and that Domain 2 (Professional Practice) did demonstrate how Professional Knowledge is applied by teacher librarians. Therefore I established that there is a relationship between professional knowledge and practice. Effective application of professional knowledge underpins professional practice. It also enables teacher-librarians to demonstrate commitment, as they can draw on their professional knowledge to advocate improvements to library and information services but also improve the level of services that can be provided. This also includes professional development to expand existing knowledge. At the end of the day, they are educators like a classroom teacher.

Part C - still a work in progress!!! I am leaving it a little late but in good reason. Much of it has been drafted because I have been able to draw on personal experiences up to now.