Monday, March 20, 2017

Primary School Borrowing Vs High School Borrowing

Doing RFF work in my primary school this term is proving to be a good learning experience in terms of library programs and how students use school libraries at a school level, and trying to find ways to keep the positive library habits when they do move to high school.

Primary School kids love to borrow especially as my kindy students show. They are just excited to borrow a book each week, take it home and read and I see the smiles on their faces when I go to collect them each week.

And in the upper primary years, they still keep up the enthusiasm as they challenge their minds with something that little bit harder.

In between this, we see students also enjoying browsing the non-fiction shelves to stimulate their minds on something that interests them - whether it is fact books, gaming, sport or books on animals and dinosaurs.

Then I look back at high school experiences - Where a school may not have an active wide reading program, students are less likely to borrow and read. Where there is a wide reading program, there is still interest, but I don't think its as high as a primary school student might have. Some become reluctant to borrow, especially where rules are placed on the types of books to be read e.g. fiction. For some students, fiction won't appeal and hence are less likely to read.

How do I overcome the change in borrowing habits? I think its a challenge, but I need to give it a go.


  • I would continue to advocate for wide reading programs that encourage the reading of fiction and non-fiction literature. Some students definitely would be stimulated by reading real stories about the world around them or stimulating or developing a broader interest. 
  • Promoting non-fiction literature - I am guilty of promoting fiction literature as part of library displays or content in newsletters. I have been involved in creating displays for units of work or events on the calendar, but what about general topics of interest that students might have e.g. gaming? Perhaps I need to do that.
  • Make library visits fun, instead of a chore.
  • Promote the recreational side of reading as part of library orientation programs.
  • If a student wanders in and sees the library as a social space, have a book or activity related to their interests ready. I know at one school, I had The Daily Telegraph ready for a boy to collect as he entered. One of his friend did love playing games on the games page. At least it kept them out of trouble. Their mates, another story for another day!!!
  • Find out what the kids are learning in class. Find some great books on the topic/s to read. 
  • Remind students that reading is fun, not a chore. Discuss with them how reading helps them in their everyday lives. 
I was reading today about the shrinking size of non-fiction print collections as students opt for digital resources i.e. websites for their research. It is not easy to get all non-fiction items in eBook form and is expensive for many schools, but if we are going to get them to borrow non-fiction books. I would be pressuring my colleagues to mandate the use of printed items e.g. a minimum of 2-3 books. Also, I would suggest what some teachers or subject departments do - provide them with a list of items that are available in the library to help them. Using a variety of resources in different formats is a key learning skill that they will require for lifelong learning. The internet may provide us with easy access to information, but sadly in an imperfect world, not everything can be published and/or located.