Wednesday, January 22, 2014

CEO Sydney ILe@RN with Mobile Devices - Ipad 2 - Final Reflection


The model itself (SAMR) is great for teachers to use in integrating technology for teaching and learning and to measure how the technology will impact on the learning process. By aspiring towards redefinition, we can teach in a means that can engage all students but also cater for the diverse learning needs of the classroom, especially special needs students. 

Comment by Fabian Amuso in "Rebecca's Mobile Journey", January 19 2014

During this course, I have gained many great insights into the use of Ipad's for teaching and learning but also to broaden my understanding of technology. 

This course has provided a great insight in how to use Ipad's as a teaching and learning tool. I started off in the first modules by exploring some of the "tips and tricks" in using an Ipad whether it might be splitting the keyboard into two, taking a screenshot and bookmarking webpages (and even how to create a icon on the main page). At regular intervals throughout the course, I was also introduced to more apps and resources which can be used to support teaching and learning in the classroom to provide for an engaging learning experience. 

Then I had the opportunity to learn how to evaluate an Ipad for teaching and learning purposes. As a teacher librarian, I have a major responsibility in advising teachers relating to the suitability of resources for classroom learning. This extends to technology and includes Ipad Apps. Without a system for evaluating apps, I would not be unable to provide a proper professional assessment of an app for classroom use. While not mentioned at the time, the evaluation provided insights into the nominated app that I may have not picked up initially. I will certainly apply this model in my work.

My knowledge and understanding of cloud and syncing devices was built up on. As mentioned I already have used some devices and applied it to some extent in my teaching. I even use it to store documents that are essential to my work and that allows for easy viewing at home or work. By the way, this removes the need to transport documents from home to work and vice versa, reducing the risk of loss to nearly zero. 

I was disappointed by the annotating apps because they were not advanced enough in my view with restrictions on what can be done to a pdf file in the annotation stage. I do believe that in time more features will be added and their usefulness to learning will become more established. 

The later modules provided the most relevant and useful skills needed for my professional role. Module Five provided me with apps to use in the creation of E-Books. It allows students with another way to reflect on the learning process but also if they want to share information or simply tell a story. I also shared some challenges that I'm faced in terms of encouraging students to read E-Books as seen through my experience to date as a teacher librarian. Students need to know that E-Books are available and offer benefits that print books cannot provide. This also includes newspapers and periodicals that are available electronically. I also learnt about IBooks and how they allow one to create their own digital library.

Module Six provided me with the SAMR model, a model that I intend to use in incorporating technology into teaching. It taught me that technology should allow us as teachers to redefine the teaching experience; to incorporate technology that allows for learning experiences that have not previously been possible with the use of pen and paper technology. That is reflected in the comment that I posted in another participants blog that I posted at the top of this entry. Technology caters to all learning needs and all types of learners. "Pen and Paper" just seems to be a generic way of teaching and often the easy path which we as teachers and educators have all been guilty of doing at some point. To me, I need to know how students learn and then select and incorporate the technology that reflects their learning needs.

Finally, I was able to create a short film using the camera and then edit it with Imovie to create the final film. I was impressed to discover skitch, a simple app that allows me to label an image with great ease. I didn't write it in my entry at the time, but I think it is the best app or program I have come across on any device that allows me to label an item which such ease. It will allow for a more professional presentation of labelled diagrams or pictures.

I conclude my reflection by stating that I feel competent and very confident in using Ipad's in the classroom for teaching and learning. While some aspects of the technology are not as effective as traditional computers, I feel that in time, Ipad's will have the full capability and function that traditional computers offer. While tablets are still in my view, tools for consumption of information. I believe that from the case studies of Ipad usage in the classroom plus my own experiences in creating content, they will become devices that can create information effectively. Some apps have their limitations as I noticed in this course but in time, will be fixed.