Wednesday, September 5, 2012

SCIS Assignment Update

Assignment 2A is proving not to be as hard as I thought, so doing those exercises has helped me out alot.

Reflecting at the time, I realised that I had not done detailed searches on SCIS Subject headings nor the SCIS OPAC catalogue and that had pulled me back considerably. At least having a punt and typing in different terms would have helped me.

Neither did I read the notes on the subject headings as well as to how to use them. It was a matter of reading through.

I think noting the reasons why I created that heading (by keeping a log of my search efforts) helped me too. With that reasoning, I should be able to get a pass mark for this task as I have been able to give reasons for my headings.

I've also told myself to keep the headings simple. Looking at SCIS OPAC, they try to keep the subject headings simple. Simplicity wins the day usually.