Friday, July 6, 2018

NSW PRC and SCIS - Please Note

I am commenting on observations that I have made as I have been in the process of allocating genres to Fiction books on the school NSW Premier's Reading Challenge (PRC) list and placing the appropriate sticker/s on them.

  • Alot of books are not necessarily allocated a genre under genre. I used SCIS and ScOT Terms to formally allocate a genre.
  • I read blurbs and notes if required.
  • If I had doubt, I would refer to the listing of the item on Trove and look at the headings.
  • Before making any changes, I would use OLIVER Software to "enhance" the resource by obtaining the most recent details listed on the Schools Cataloging Information Service (SCIS) .
Even after the changes, books that were not originally catalogued as being on the PRC list needed to be manually added in by using the details available on the NSW PRC website.

My tip for Teacher Librarians and support staff in school libraries, undertake a check to ensure that all items are properly catalogued if not already done so on your library system.

So far, I have located 200 books that needed their records updated to ensure that they appear as PRC books on the system.