Thursday, March 22, 2018

Being passionate in our reading!!!

Teacher Librarian's have a challenge in motivating students to read.

But how they will they be encouraged to read if we as teachers don't role model the right behaviour.

I have been reading some accounts by students of why they enjoy reading. They are encouraged to read because the teacher demonstrates their passion for literature whether it might be through the exciting and engaging manner in sharing stories (changing voices etc, making students laugh) or sharing why they enjoy the book.

While I am good at enjoying reading for pleasure, I at times have neglected to share some of the passion I have for literature.

I may share with others what I am reading, but do I or the students themselves understand why.

I may tell students that I read the book, but not give reasoning as to what made it a great book.

It is even suggested that I share my experiences of how I came across the book or even the version that I have e.g. autographed editions and collectors editions to motivate them to read even more.

My challenge is to share with my students what makes the book a great read. It should not just be who the book appeals best to, but why.

Make your challenge too.