Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Reading and Well Being

This past week, I was reading two articles that highlighted the importance of reading and how it can contribute to well being.

It affirmed what I know from my own reading experiences. It can help me settle down when I am feeling tense or stressed and it has a calming effect that medicine cannot offer.

I have noticed in my work how getting students to focus on reading an item of  their interest (not perscribed by a teacher). I have asked them if they felt more relaxed while reading and the answer has resoundingly been yes. I am even amazed at how kids that can be active or full of energy settle down. The results seem to work better in the afternoon when they feel tired and need something passive yet educational.

And notice that the time flies too because they become engaged in their text.

Reading the articles has helped me also provide an argument for application of wide reading programs at a school because of the effects it can have on well being.

My challenge is to get the welfare or pastoral care team on side.