Wednesday, September 17, 2014

History Inquiry Learning Day - August 15

The Association of Independent Schools run free workshops and professional development days for teachers.

On Friday, I had the chance to attend a one day workshop focusing on incorporating Inquiry Learning as part of the national syllabus hosted by Carlo Tuttocoure.

I thought the day was very interesting given the importance of Inquiry learning as part of the learning process, particularly how it can foster development of critical thinking and information literacy skills, skills I believe that can be applied across the curriculum.

Some points of interest include:

Visual note taking - To me it was like mind mapping except I created visual images, varied fonts etc to help explain points or arguments. For me it would be applicable for those who love to draw.

Project based learning - With 85 % of the population believed to be extroverted, its a learning approach that can work because it requires students to plan, research and communicate their learning within a collaborative setting. I do have concerns for the 15% that are regarded as introverted as they may find working within a group setting daunting but if done right, quiet natured people can be just as effective.

Structuring assessment - Making sure that as a teacher, I identify what students need to know, developing historical skills and embracing the shared understanding/s that I may have with my colleagues.

Development of historical skills -  teaching students how to analyse a source etc using the Harvard model.

Understanding by design - provided me with a useful model to organised the importance of knowledge and skills e.g. knowledge worth being familiar with, knowledge that is important to know and enduring understandings.

I was lucky to be in a group with three other teachers and as a teacher librarian encouraged them to not be afraid to consult their TL at their school after they identified some problems and challenges in delivery of the national syllabus, particularly with assessment and resourcing. Classroom teachers get bogged down sometimes with the demands of their role, they forget a TL can take some of the stress off them and we are always there to help them.