Sunday, September 1, 2013

Library Maps - Easy As

I was asked to do a map of the new library this week and place this on OLIVER. I'm no CAD expert (software you can use to make maps) but I decided to do it on Microsoft Word.

I could not believe that even though it takes a bit of time to draw it (using shapes to represent shelves etc) it was straightforward.

After converting the map to a jpeg file, I then placed markers using the Softlink software in which to do so. I tested it with a few titles using the OPAC and could not believe the accuracy of the markers in determining a books location.

I have to admit that the map feature is probably one of the most underutilised features of OLIVER & the OPAC because it can tell someone where a book can be found and this cuts out the time searching through many shelves.

It will even tell you too if the book is on loan through the map as well (and if you forgot to read the "status" listing!!!

Given we are at a new location, the students and teachers will need to rely on that map. I hope it helps them and I will aim to encourage them to make use of come the time they want to borrow a resource.

I've retained a copy of the word version because if the layout changes, I can move the shelves etc to reflect those changes. The shelving itself is largely movable especially those for the DVD collection. Some shelves are fixed but whats on them can change easily.

I'm looking forward to drawing some more library maps in the future!!!